Final week I spent over 3 hours listening to a digital assembly with the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (BBC). In the event you’re not acquainted with the BBC, it is an company that oversees client security and offers directions to 650,000 licensed magnificence suppliers in California on tips on how to safely reopen after months of closing. Previously, the BBC company was recognized to be very inefficient and fairly outdated (i.e. till not too long ago their web site has not been up to date for nearly three years) till ‘Listening to the digital assembly, I had no thought how unhealthy the scenario REALLY was.
One of many important highlights that I took away from the digital assembly is that the BBC has no intention of monitoring the sweetness business with reference to social distancing, PPE or something to do with COVID-19 reopening procedures. I am going to give my two cents on this additional down, however for now let me provide you with a rundown of what is been happening over the previous few months.
- April 28: After practically two months in lockdown, Governor Newsom declares a 4-phase reopening plan – placing the sweetness business in section 3 and says it would take months, not weeks.
- April 29: The Skilled Magnificence Federation of California (PBFC) meets with the Assistant Secretary to the Cupboard and the Chief Govt Officer of the State Council to debate how further months of foreclosures will probably be untenable and will undermine the very basis of our licensed and controlled business. the state (which resulted in devastated salon companies, stylists’ livelihoods and scholar goals).
- Might 6: PBFC informs media of its intention to press prices in opposition to the state and the BBC.
- Might 7: Governor Newsom responds with an explosive declare that the primary group unfold of COVID-19 occurred at a nail salon (that was information for our 39 million california residents, together with the well being division and the BBC, which is newsome governor abroad. To this point, he refuses to inform anybody the place he bought this data.)
- Might 19 – Governor Newsom recordsdata 242-page response to trial (reality: nowhere within the response is the nail salon’s declare talked about)
- Might 22: Federal decide entrusted with this motion orders each events to file closing arguments by way of 5-page briefs by Tuesday, Might 26, when the decide will overview the case and render his determination shortly after.
- Might 26: Earlier than the decide’s ruling, Governor Newsom instantly declares the opening of hair salons and barbers. (Governor Newsom’s hasty determination to solely open hair salons have left round 45% of the sweetness business in full darkness, together with essentially the most certified to reopen – ESTHETICIANS.)
Now, as with us beauticians … for starters, we’re in a very totally different class from the remainder of the sweetness business. Our information of tips on how to shield shoppers (and ourselves) from any communicable illness is greater than legendary. In the event you’ve by no means had a facial you won’t understand it, however sporting masks and gloves even when we’ve got allergy symptoms is not new to us. Most estheticians are educated, accountable, versed in biology and chemistry, with a deep understanding of sanitation. To not point out that our area is turning into increasingly refined with scientific and technological advances, particularly by way of tools! It’s simply not reasonable that we’re ruled by an company that doesn’t even perceive what we’re doing or that may sustain with the technological degree at which we’re.
So right here we’re, nonetheless closed. To make this entire scenario much more ridiculous, shoppers at the moment are crossing state borders to acquire their providers (i.e. Californians going to Nevada). Moreover, as most of you recognize, the closure of salons and clinics has compelled many magnificence professionals to infiltrate, offering unregulated house providers growing the chance of the unfold of COVID-19 and placing everybody’s well being in danger.
Beauticians are patiently ready for the inexperienced gentle to reopen and the companies imagined to be on our facet refuse to behave and are held accountable. The Division of Well being tells us to speak to the BBC and the BBC tells us that it’s for the Division of Well being to determine.
For now, my OLSC staff has created our personal set of strict guidelines (following the CDC) however with further steps that we really feel are crucial. This consists of refined UVC lamps, face shields and, after all, strict social distancing measures. In the event you’re an esthetician studying this, it is time to demand motion – like beginning our personal company with legal professionals and the power to foyer. Whereas the PBFC has definitely taken authorized motion up to now, it hasn’t been in a position to do something particularly for us.
It’s time to rise up for ourselves. Within the meantime, for those who’re our shopper studying this (or a California resident), my recommendation is to take a look at your magnificence supplier’s protocols and see in the event that they meet CDC pointers. Finally, politics and unhealthy hasty choices can affect the lives of a whole bunch of hundreds of individuals, particularly girls. I urge you to hitch me in making our voices heard. It is time to make a change.