So, you have determined to make the leap and dye your hair. You’ve got hung out discovering the right coloration, in a model you will love. However one query stays: ought to your hair be moist or dry if you dye it? Which one will produce the perfect outcomes?
Properly, it will depend on what sort of dye you’re utilizing. Whereas the brief reply is sure, you may dye moist hair, you’ll probably solely see the outcomes you’re keen on with sure forms of hair coloring merchandise. Under we’ll discover the forms of dye to make use of, together with the potential professionals and cons of dyeing your hair when it is moist.
The Advantages: Why Moist Hair Can Enhance Hair Coloration
- When the hair is moist, the outer layer or cuticle of the strand lifts up a bit, permitting the dye to penetrate deeper into the hair shaft than it could when dry. Which means extra dye is absorbed and you’ll see a brighter end result.
- The added moisture helps distribute the dye evenly all through the size of your hair, which means it’s possible you’ll want much less dye than in case your hair was dry. It is a main plus, particularly for these with significantly lengthy or thick hair, who would usually want a variety of dye to totally saturate their hair!
- Talking of which, if in case you have thick or coarse hair, moist dye could also be simply what you want. As a result of elevated porosity of your hair, whereas it’s moist, it’s possible you’ll discover it simpler to use the dye to all your hair.
The Cons: Why You Ought to Suppose Twice About Dying Moist Hair
- Whereas moist hair gives a better software methodology, it’s much less exact than dyeing dry hair. Moist hair tends to stay collectively, which might make it tougher to inform for those who’ve distributed the dye evenly over every strand. Moreover, moist hair appears darker, which might make it troublesome to see which components of your hair have been dyed, in comparison with the place you continue to want so as to add extra product. To counteract this, comb your hair after making use of the dye, to assist distribute it extra evenly all through the size of your hair.
- Moreover, the water in your hair can dilute the hair dye, leading to a lighter or extra refined coloration end result than anticipated. This diluted product also can imply that your tincture will not final so long as it could in any other case. To keep away from this end result, don’t dye your hair with water in case you are on the lookout for a drastic change in hair coloration. This methodology works finest for extra refined, tonal coloration modifications.
- Bear in mind how we stated your hair cuticle is lifted when your hair is moist? Whereas that is good for absorbing the product, it isn’t so good for the energy and integrity of your hair. The cuticle is the protecting layer of the hair, very similar to a weave, so when the cuticle is lifted, your hair is probably the most weak. This implies it is also probably the most inclined to wreck, so it would want a bit of additional TLC, particularly proper after making use of the dye, which might put extra stress in your hair. Keep away from warmth styling, towel drying, and aggressive brushing of your hair proper after moist dyeing.
- Lastly, oversaturation is a hazard with moist dyeing your hair. Your hair cannot inform the distinction between water and dye and can merely soak up no matter it is available in contact with. Nevertheless, every strand has solely a restricted skill to soak up substances, so if it has absorbed a variety of water, there might not be a lot “area” for it to soak up the dye. That is very true for dry, broken hair, which can shortly soak up any moisture it might get. To keep away from this, don’t dye your hair when it’s soaked. Your hair ought to solely be damp if you dye it.
What sorts of colours can you utilize on moist hair?
As we talked about earlier, not all forms of hair dyes are appropriate for moist hair. Let’s check out the several types of dyes and why every ought to (or should not) be used on moist hair.
That is the kind of coloration you’re in all probability accustomed to in case you are an avid house dye. Splat, Manic Panic, and all the opposite rainbow shade manufacturers which you can apply on to your head with out mixing something up will probably be semi-permanent colours.
As a result of they do not comprise ammonia or peroxide, they’re completely protected to make use of on moist hair. As well as, they solely cowl the hair cuticle. And that cuticle elevation that we talked about might help them penetrate deeper into the hair shaft, which can assist them keep shiny for longer.
Demi-Everlasting Hair Dye
Semi-permanent dyes are most frequently used for refined modifications in hair coloration. It’s a type of momentary hair dye. You combine it with ammonia, however in a sufficiently small quantity that it’s hardly more likely to injury your hair.
Thinning the demi-permanent dye with water might barely shorten the lifetime of your coloration, however solely by a number of washes.
Different momentary dyes
This contains all the things from toner utilized in a hair salon to neutralize undesirable tones in highlighted hair, to paint conditioners like Overtone which have just lately gained in recognition. These are all protected to make use of on moist hair.
Within the class of colours that ought to NOT be used on moist hair, everlasting coloration is on the prime. That is because of the peroxide and ammonia it accommodates.
These are harsh chemical compounds that may severely injury your pores and skin and hair. When your hair is dry, the pure oils secreted by your scalp shield your hair from these chemical compounds. Nevertheless, including water can dilute or wash off your protecting oils.
Additionally, if there are traces of metals in your water, these can react with the chemical compounds within the dye. Consequently, you may get nasty burns in your scalp.
You must also use hair bleach solely on dry hair, for a similar causes listed for everlasting dyes. Burned scalps and broken, brittle hair can all end result from a nasty response between bleach and water.
The way to dye moist hair
Now that you’ve got the fundamentals, this is how you can dye your hair when it is moist.
- Depart your hair a bit of soiled. And by that we imply, do not wash your hair on the identical day you propose to water-dye it. It ought to have a wholesome layer of pure oils, but it surely should not be a greasy, stringy mess.
- Run water by means of your hair till it’s saturated, then dry it gently with a towel till damp. Once more, your hair shouldn’t be moist if you apply the dye.
- Work the dye on the realm you wish to cowl.
- Depart the dye in your hair for the period of time beneficial by the producer’s directions.
- Wash your hair with a color-safe shampoo and observe up with conditioner to assist counter any potential injury.
- Take pleasure in your new hair coloration!
And There you go! All the pieces that you must know to begin your moist hair dye journey. We hope this text has impressed you to leap within the bathe and enhance your hair coloration sport.
Leigh C is a 28 yr previous inventive man dwelling within the Pacific Northwest. Her obsession with aesthetics started with experiments in clothes design, and she or he has since developed expertise in make-up and hair care. She lives together with her cat, who’s at all times there to ensure her hair coloration is sensible and her eyeliner wings are even.